History of Stone Row

Mortise

The land upon which the Inn sits was owned in 1807 by Pierre Chouteau, who was a member of the founding family of St. Louis. Pierre was very much associated with William Clark who at that time was the territorial Governor of the Louisiana Purchase. In fact, it was Chouteau who negotiated the Fort Clark treaty with the Osage Indians.

The land was also owned between 1808 and 1810 by another famous St. Louisian and his wife: Edward and Clarissa Hemptstead. Edward was appointed in 1809 by Territorial Governor William Clark as the attorney general for the Louisiana Territory. It is documented that Edward Hempstead and Daniel Boone lived across the street from each other and had nightly conversations in 1809, when Daniel lived in St. Charles for two months.